Thursday 13 September 2018, 08:00pm - 09:45pm
Tonight's Topic: The Balancing Act
With school returning, this is a time parents often reflect on where they are and how they will juggle all the responsibilities on the horizon. Tonight we look at balancing these multitudes. Being a gay father is a unique opportunity with its own challenges. We are father’s first, but we are also gay men with other needs most other fathers do not share. How can we look after ourselves as well as be the dads we all aspire to be. Sometimes family commitments conflict with other priorities, or opportunities may put us in positions to have to decide upon priorities. As a gay father, how do we honour our family time and our personal time? Come discuss issues and solutions to the balancing act we as gay fathers work with.
Lead Facilitator: Chris *Second Facilitator: Bob
*When two or more facilitators are present, the Second Facilitator is able to discuss matters privately if needed.*
If this is your First first Gay Fathers meeting:
- Remember, this is a BIG step for you! You may have lots of questions: Who will be there? What is this about? What would I expect? This is how most of us felt arriving at our first Gay Fathers meeting; we’ve been there.
- Do let one of the facilitators know that this is your first meeting.
- You do NOT have to participate, you are welcome to sit and listen, and if/when you are ready to join in the discussion go ahead, if asked to, you are always welcome to say, “I prefer to just listen tonight,” and this will be respected.
- Gay Fathers of Toronto does not advise what to do; we encourage every man to find the path best suited for him and his situation.
- All meetings are held at The 519 Church St Community Centre (519 Church Street, Toronto, ON) , Room 304 (check the notice board upon arrival in case there has been a room change)
- Map to 519 ►[Opens new window]◄
- Gay Fathers of Toronto is independent and is not financially supported or sponsored by any organization or group. Self-supported since it first met in 1978, every attending man is asked to contribute $5 at each meeting to defray the costs of meeting space/website/etc (unless it is your first meeting, then it is free).
- If $5 is a financial burden and is preventing you from attending, contact or email privately (firstname.lastname@example.org). We are here to support, not to inhibit or to embarrass.
- Meeting leaders are gay fathers and volunteers. Please note, they are trained to facilitate discussions; they are not life coaches, marriage counsellors, psychologists, or lawyers.
- Mutual respect is expected. Predatory or intimidating behaviour will not be tolerated. Gay Fathers of Toronto has a Code of Mutual Respect. Ask a Facilitator to browse a copy of it if you want more information. Talk to a Facilitator or email us confidentially (email@example.com) about anything that offends or concerns you.
Location The 519 Church Street Community Centre, Room 304