Thursday 25 October 2018, 08:00pm - 09:45pm
Tonight's Topic: Stepping into the Step-parent role for a non-dad
Special guest speaker tonight. Ross is joining us to provide the perspective of a step-dad in the gay couple. He entered into a relationship with a gay father, and soon realized how much it would alter his perspective on parenting and their own relationship, since he was coming to the table without kids. Bring your partner if you have one, send them instead, or come if you are a father wondering about a gay partner without kids might feel when they start a relationship with a dad and his kids. Tonight is about opening up the conversation with both the father and the partners about managing the parenting triangle! This is a topic many men ask about, and are excited to bring this perspective to you for the meeting.
Lead Facilitator: Bob *Second Facilitator: John StJ
*When two or more facilitators are present, the Second Facilitator is able to discuss matters privately if needed.*
If this is your First first Gay Fathers meeting:
- Remember, this is a BIG step for you! You may have lots of questions: Who will be there? What is this about? What would I expect? This is how most of us felt arriving at our first Gay Fathers meeting; we’ve been there.
- Do let one of the facilitators know that this is your first meeting.
- You do NOT have to participate, you are welcome to sit and listen, and if/when you are ready to join in the discussion go ahead, if asked to, you are always welcome to say, “I prefer to just listen tonight,” and this will be respected.
- Gay Fathers of Toronto does not advise what to do; we encourage every man to find the path best suited for him and his situation.
- All meetings are held at The 519 Church St Community Centre (519 Church Street, Toronto, ON) , Room 304 (check the notice board upon arrival in case there has been a room change)
- Map to 519 ►[Opens new window]◄
- Gay Fathers of Toronto is independent and is not financially supported or sponsored by any organization or group. Self-supported since it first met in 1978, every attending man is asked to contribute $5 at each meeting to defray the costs of meeting space/website/etc (unless it is your first meeting, then it is free).
- If $5 is a financial burden and is preventing you from attending, contact or email privately (email@example.com). We are here to support, not to inhibit or to embarrass.
- Meeting leaders are gay fathers and volunteers. Please note, they are trained to facilitate discussions; they are not life coaches, marriage counsellors, psychologists, or lawyers.
- Mutual respect is expected. Predatory or intimidating behaviour will not be tolerated. Gay Fathers of Toronto has a Code of Mutual Respect. Ask a Facilitator to browse a copy of it if you want more information. Talk to a Facilitator or email us confidentially (firstname.lastname@example.org) about anything that offends or concerns you.
Location The 519 Church Street Community Centre, Room 304